Vereinshaus (Passage des Demoiselles) Echternach
20h Eucaristia | 21h Procissão
Basílica de Echternach
Over 1300 years of history
698 - foundation of the monastery by Willibrord (658-739)
739 - Death of Willibrord
around 800 - second church and crypt
1031 - construction of a third church
St Sebastian's Chapel
1794 - French Revolution
1868 - reconstruction of the building
1939 - Basilica Minor
1953 - Consecration of the rebuilt Basilica
Stained glass from 1952/53
European Heritage Label
Flyer (Guided tour) in different languages
658 - 739
698 - Foundation of the abbey
Rathmelsigi - Carlow
The Carlow Connection
Map of the Dancing Procession
Dancing Procession 2023
History of the cult
Very soon after the saint’s death, more and more pilgrims visited the tomb of St Willibrord. The so-called Saint Willibrord fountains, which mark out the missionary’s route, are considered by the faithful to be sacred places. Hagiographies spread the legend of the saint in the churches and monasteries of Cisalpine Europe. Many churches bear his name.
Intercessor with God
Willibrord is invoked as a protector against nervous disorders, epilepsy and childhood illnesses. Today, the saint is invoked in all situations of modern man’s distress: e.g. healing from an illness, foresight in the face of important decisions, firmness in questions of faith, strength and support in facing vicissitudes of life.
Apostle of Europe
Willibrord, a great European missionary, preached the word of God to many nations. He found his strength and assurance in his faith in Jesus Christ. His example encourages us to welcome God’s good news as a source of joy and peace for Europe today.
Every Monday: Pilgrimage Mass
Every Monday at 9 a.m., the Holy Eucharist is celebrated at the saint’s tomb for pilgrims, the archbishopric and the universal Church.
The Octave in honor of St Willibrord
The Octave in honor of St Willibrord (around November 7) is a week of pilgrimage and various celebrations. The faithful of the various deaneries of the archbishopric travel to Echternach to honor the secondary patron of Luxembourg and to visit his tomb in the crypt of the Basilica.
November 7: Feast of Saint Willibrord
On November 7 the Church commemorates St Willibrord. In Echternach the feast of the patron saint is celebrated with great solemnity.
The Basilica, as the burial place of its holy founder, is an important place of pilgrimage.
Church services tailored to parishes and individual groups are possible. Please contact the parish office.
St Willibrord’s Basilica
12 Porte St Willibrord
Access and opening hours
The entrance is free.
The Basilica is open to the public every day from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
A ramp for people with disabilities or in wheelchairs is located at the left entrance of the Basilica.
Visit the Basilica
The visits are made in the greatest calm and with the greatest discretion.
During liturgical services visits are not permitted.
On Sunday (and on public holidays) visits are only possible from 1 p.m.
Visitors are invited to respect the sanctity of the place.
Remain silent (or speak only in a low voice), do not telephone, do not eat or drink, do not smoke.
Animals are not allowed.
As a sign of respect, men are invited to remove their hats when entering the Basilica.
Access to the Documentation Center is located in the left side nave of the Basilica.
It is open :
- April to October daily from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- from November to March only on weekends from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
To arrange a guided tour, please contact the Parish Office (+352) 72 72 96 / firstname.lastname@example.org
or the Regional Tourist Office of the Mullerthal Region – Luxembourg’s Little Switzerland email@example.com
Texte: Alex Langini, Pierre Kauthen, Francis Erasmy
Fotos: Peuky Barone, Nico Dom, Francis Erasmy, Philippe Fauvel, Serge Feltes, Margret Friedrich (Fotostudio Creativ Echternach), Tom Osborne, Peda-Kunstverlag, Luc Schreiner, Pierre Weber, Frank Wilhelm
Archive: Pfarrarchiv, Archiv Willibrordusbauverein